Kipseli (which means bee-hive in Greek), is located on the northwestern plain of Aegina, though to the northeast of Aegina town. It is part of the municipality of Aegina town. The large, Byzantine-style, silver-domed church of Evangelistria, located in its main square, was built in 1875, west of an older church of the same name that had burned down. It was completed in 1880, and local divers funded the clock outside it. Sponge-diving was an important industry in this area during the 19th and early 20th centuries, and many impressive, two-storey neoclassical homes were built with the riches thus acquired. There were also many farmers and sailors in the area.
Archaeolgical finds and rock-cut tombs attest to Kipseli having been inhabited from ancient times. Near the area of Leonti (which borders Vathi), remains of ancient buildings were found in a riverbed. The church of Agios Nikolas in the Moulos area was built upon the remains of an ancient theater.
The Kipseli area is very spread out, and its boundaries difficult to ascertain, as with many named places on the island of Aegina. As it meets the Vathi area, the main road winds past fields and orchards, and the craggy peaks of low mountains come into view to the south.